guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: address@hidden: Remove aarch64-linux from supported-syst

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: address@hidden: Remove aarch64-linux from supported-systems.
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:55:18 +0200

On Sun, Dec 02, 2018 at 03:51:58PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:

> > Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> >> starting phase `configure'
> >> ../gnu/config.guess: unable to guess system type
> >
> > Would it be enough to add Automake as a native input and copy
> > ‘config.guess’ from there?
>
> Ideally, we shouldn't need 'config.guess' at all.  Normally, it is only
> used if the GNU triplet is not explicitly passed to ./configure.  A few
> years ago, I fixed most instances of this problem by unconditionally
> passing --build=<triplet> to ./configure in the default 'configure'
> phase of gnu-build-system.
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=3c7d023d6458669c6bfa23bc85e098c91f699892
>
> However, our OCaml package has a custom 'configure' phase that does not
> pass --build.  I'm not sure if that's because OCaml's configure phase
> doesn't support --build, or if it was omitted because it's not typically
> needed on x86_64.
>
> * * *
>
> Anyway, more generally, I hope that we will not get in the habit of
> simply removing systems from 'supported-systems' when builds fail on
> those systems, without investigating and concluding that it would be
> prohibitively difficult to support the software on that system.
>
> To my mind, it's *good* to see failed builds on other architectures, to
> be reminded of bugs on non-x86_64 systems that should be fixed.  When we
> remove systems from 'supported-systems' without good reason, this is
> somewhat analogous to deleting unfixed bug reports.
>
> What do you think?
>
>       Mark

I looked back at the "state of aarch64 in guix¹" blog post, which stated:
OCaml 4.01.0: Doesn't build on aarch64, haven't investigated.

I believe this is the first one that I've marked unsupported in quite a
while, but adding a note as to why it's labeled unsupported would be
best; it gives us the best chance possible at revisiting the decision
later.

¹http://guix.info/blog/2017/state-of-aarch64-on-guix/

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר