guix-devel

Re: Starting the staging branch (was: Re: 01/01: gnu: mesa: Update to 18

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Starting the staging branch (was: Re: 01/01: gnu: mesa: Update to 18.2.3.)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:52:57 +0100

Hi Marius,

> Rutger Helling <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Marius,
>>
>> That's odd, I'm not sure what happened. I guess the hash must've
>> changed again after I pushed it (the release was on the same day). I've
>> updated to the latest stable version instead (18.2.6).
>
> OK, thank you!
>
> Let's try to start building this branch soon.  I suppose we should wait
> for the GNOME upgrade, Ricardo WDYT?

I just pushed a new version of wip-gnome-upgrades, which appears to be
mostly fine.  (This is GNOME 3.28; I’m working on 3.30, which is
comparatively easy but requires more fundamental packages to be changed,
such as glib.)

I’m using GNOME 3.28 right now after changing my ~/.xsession file to end
like this:

export GDK_BACKEND=x11
export DISPLAY=:0.0
gnome-session

(Previously it was just “gnome-session”.)

The default backend appears to be “wayland”, but I can’t seem to start
the sesson when xorg-server is running.  I also don’t understand why I
have to set DISPLAY; I think that this indicates that elogind doesn’t
consider my account to be logged in or something.

I also found that adjusting the brightness triggers an authentication
dialogue, asking me to input a password for gsd-backlight-helper.  This
looks like the same problem above.  Something with elogind seat
management, I guess.

If you understand this better please give it a try.

--
Ricardo