guix-devel

Re: qemu command line for installation

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: qemu command line for installation
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:06:57 -0300

Hi!
I am opening this thread again to mention some few things.

I had to add one last line to the qemu command:
(First ran : qemu-img create hda.img 50G)

qemu-system-x86_64 \

    -m 1024 \

    -nodefaults \

    -drive file=hda.img,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0 \

    -device ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0-0-0,id=ide0-0-0,bootindex=1
\

    -drive
file=guixsd-install-0.15.0.x86_64-linux.iso,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-1,readonly=on
\

    -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-ide0-0-1,id=ide0-0-1,bootindex=2
\

    -device qxl-vga \

    -net user -net nic,model=virtio

Because I had no eth0 interface.

I also got gábor's warning.

Everything worked fine, except the part of being able to switch ttys
(ie open tty2 to see the documentation).
And I could not use the mouse to copy text. I added the -show-cursor
but that did not solve the problem.

Since this machine is not my retroPC, and also wanted to learn more,
instead of using the bare_bone.scm I used the lightweight, one,
replacing the bootloader type, deleting the mapped devices stuff, and
adding just xfce GUI. While doing guix init ... I fell asleep with my
machine unplugged, and today when I opened qemu, however, it showed
the GUI. But weird things happened, like the mouse kind of alive
moving without control over the VM, and I saw when loading everything
before showing the GUI, that it showed something about the wireless
connection (I did not want that).
I started again with the installation - i amost remember all the steps
without having to take a look at the documentation - just adding more
memory and using desktop.scm template, just changing username,
timezone, and bootloader , and see what happens.

Regards,
Laura