guix-devel

500+ Gnome-shell-extensions - how to handle?

From: swedebugia
Subject: 500+ Gnome-shell-extensions - how to handle?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:15:34 +0100

Hi people

How do we best handle gnome-shell-extensions?

They seem needing to be registered via gsettings (see example in the install.sh attached) so a service for exporting the installed extensions seems necessary.

So in a config we would specify:
(shell-extension-service-type =>
                (inherit config)
                (extensions
                        (list (cpufreq-konkor
                                ...)))))

Things to ponder:
- what naming scheme?
- new importer for extensions?
- new build-system parsing the metadata.json?

Sum up of findings:
- 90% of the extensions had a link to a github repository and had a license clearly specified there. - No license information on https://extensions.gnome.org (not suitable for import in my view)
- No dependencies found for extensions (they don't depend on each other)
- No need to support gnome-shell-js install via browser
- gse (gnome-shell-extensions) proposed as a prefix for these packages.
- author as they appear on https://extensions.gnome.org proposed as suffix.

------
NAMING:
What do we call them?
e.g. https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1082/cpufreq/ "by konkor"
https://github.com/konkor/cpufreq -> gse-cpufreq-konkor?

as opposed to this one
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/47/cpu-frequency/ "by ojo"
https://github.com/azdyb/gnome-shell-extension-cpufreq/tree/master/cpufreq%40zdyb.tk -> gst-cpufreq-ojo?

In the attached install.sh. There gse-cpufreq-konkor is listed with a UUID as "address@hidden" (from https://github.com/konkor/cpufreq/blob/master/install.sh)

-----------------
Here is an example without an install script (which seems to be a common case):

cpupower:
https://github.com/martin31821/cpupower

There is a https://github.com/martin31821/cpupower/blob/master/metadata.json with the following information:

{
        "localedir":"/usr/local/share/locale",
        "shell-version": [
                "3.10", "3.12", "3.14", "3.16", "3.18", "3.20", "3.22", "3.24",
"3.26"
        ],
        "uuid": "address@hidden",
        "name": "CPU Power Manager",
        "url": "https://github.com/martin31821/cpupower";,
        "description": "Manage Intel_pstate CPU Frequency scaling driver",
        "schema": "org.gnome.shell.extensions.cpupower"
}

Based on this I guess we could import gnome-shell-extensions by pointing to the git-repository of them. Those without a git repository are not free because the source is not available...

Any thoughts?

--
Cheers
Swedebugia