guix-devel

Re: Plan for Guix security (was Re: Long term plan for GuixSD security:

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Plan for Guix security (was Re: Long term plan for GuixSD security: microkernels, ocap, RISC-V support)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 12:48:04 -0500

Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> For microkernel, sel4 being a formally verified microkernel (developed
> by security researchers?) looks promising to me. Maybe someday we can
> rebase hurd on top of it (replacing mach)...

I suppose it may be possible, but many of the original hurd developers
"concluded that microkernel design and system design are interconnected
in very intricate ways, and thus trying to use a third-party microkernel
will always result in trouble".  It is probably very non-trivial to port
to another microkernel.

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/history/port_to_another_microkernel.html

You might be interested in x15.  It's a hurd-like operating system, that
is probably a decade away from being useful to your average user.  But
it is developed by a long time Hurd developer:  Richard Braun.

https://www.sceen.net/x15/

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus