guix-devel

Re: Magit is painfully slow

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Magit is painfully slow
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 15:27:13 -0500

Brett Gilio <address@hidden> writes:

> Kyle Meyer writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> That’s because it’s trying to colorize the diff of thousands of lines of
>>> .po and .texi changes.
>>
>> With the default settings and no cached visibility for the repo, the
>> hunks should not be expanded, so Magit isn't actually coloring/painting
>> them yet.  In this case, the processing of these diffs will be slow
>> regardless of whether they are painted and the CLI "git checkout"
>> suggestion is good, but I think the delayed painting is worth noting
>> because users may not realize that their custom visibility settings are
>> making things slower.

[...]

> Kyle,
> What do you suggest here?

Sorry for not being clear.  I agree with Ricardo's suggestion and wasn't
offering another one.  I was pointing out that, with the default
configuration, the lag is due to diff processing *other than colorizing*
because Magit delays painting hidden diffs.  Based on how the user
configures section visibility (e.g., via
magit-section-initial-visibility-alist and
magit-section-cache-visibility), the diffs may not be hidden, leading to
additional time spent painting the diffs.