guix-devel

Re: Distributed GNU Shepherd NLNet Grant

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Distributed GNU Shepherd NLNet Grant
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:14:55 +0200

Hi Juli,

> I am happy to announce that this grant application was approved! [2]

Congratulations!

> Materially, it would allow Shepherd dæmons running on
> different machines to securely communicate and interact with each
> other, going so far as to control one machine's dæmons from another
> machine.

I'm very interested in this.  Back when I worked on the Swineherd I
wanted to eventually extend it so that it can communicate with other
Swineherd instances to migrate Guix System containers between
cooperating machines.  Having this feature at the foundation of the
implementation of the Shepherd is much preferable to implementing a pale
compromise of this in an extension.

It also reminds me of Mach's cross-node message passing that could be
used to turn the Hurd into a Single System Image cluster.

Exciting stuff!  I wish you success and lots of fun working on this
project.

--
Ricardo