gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Form vs. Function

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Form vs. Function
Date: 06 Sep 2002 06:27:01 -0600

Massimiliano-

just had a notion about Form vs Function.

you were talking about not being a typesetter, so to speak, as applied
to GUI creation, correct? i was wondering to what extent we could build
gui-intelligence into GUtopIa for automatic GUI creation?

at the absolute highest level we would want to be able to feed GUtopIa
the logic-model (core-app) and presto! out comes a fully made GUI. of
course, this level of intelligence is about impossible. it wouldn't even
be reasonable for a human to do, outside the core-app's developer. so
some hints, at least, need to be specified.

and so, that's kind of the notion i'm having. granted that without any
hints whatesoever, GUtopIa will do a really crapy job of automatically
generating a GUI, but that's okay becasue the more hints we give it, the
closer it will get to a better design. are you following me here?

in other words, what if we created a gui-template markup, such that it
doesn't require you to be fully explicit, and GUtopIa fills in the
holes. of course you *could* define every last detail in order to
completely control the layout if you wanted. the beauty of this is that
one can then be as much or as little of a "gui-typesetter" as required
to produce useful results. and of course the better we made GUtopIa's
"Hueristc-Infrence Engine" the less one would need to be the typesetter.

of course, don't ask me how we'd implement such a thing. at this point i
have no idea.

thoughts?

-tom