gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend
Date: 06 Sep 2002 19:10:37 -0600

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 13:38, Kero van Gelder wrote:
> [snip]
> > the most significant thing about the Component Class is that it has an
> > instance varaible that holds a reference to the native backend
> > component. that's how a GUtopIa widget is linked to the "real" widget.
> > see the #create method in the Component class. that's where the backend
> > widget is created.
>
> except create() is never called...

sorry, i haven't finished reading the whole of your reply yet, but i
thought i'd clear this up real quick. GUtopIa is doing a sort of Lazy
Evaluation. I've done this in preperation for the fact that other
toolkits require predefined parent widgets, unlike GUtopIa's API and
GTKs. this isn't fully implemented yet, but this lazy eval makes it
possible. anyhow the create() method is called from the Application
class:

    def start(&kickstart)
      puts "starting application..."
      Platform.initialize
      @views.each do |view|
        view.components.sort.each do |component|
          component.create
        end
      end
      instance_eval(&kickstart)