gutopia-dev

[rgui-dev] Re: update

From: Thorsten Roggendorf
Subject: [rgui-dev] Re: update
Date: 07 Jan 2003 21:17:33 +0100

Hi,

I was feeling opposed to using yet another language for such a project.
I hoped, one could find a simple way of expressing an interface
definition in ruby. But this example got me hooked. It could not
possibly be more consise in ruby.
The only use I can see her for ruby is maybe in helper scripts for
generating skeletton apps or some such thing. But if ruby could live in
the higher abstraction layers of the "compiler" implementation, that's
fine :-)

One remark on the yaml code; I did not yet understand the whole syntax,
I just want to comment on one thing I saw, that I might othgerwise
forget about later:

>         extend:
>           close: !^action
>             label: Close
>             index: 3
>             callback: eclipse.exit

This 'index: 3' is a bad thing (TM). There should be something like
'index: filemenu.interface.[...].exit.index'. Or maybe some replace
method would be nice.
Hm, by the way ... Maybe I'm pretty slow and you have all realized
allready - anyway: We obviously have to define the symbols, that are to
be used in interface definitions. These symbols could be objects that
are part of some hirarchy and sport various methods. Could something
like that be expressed in yaml. I think it would be very useful. A wide
field though ...

Cheers

   Thorsten