gwhere-discussion

[GWhere-discussion] Re: GWhere and Windows 98SE

From: Zero
Subject: [GWhere-discussion] Re: GWhere and Windows 98SE
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:48:50 GMT

ReHi,

Note : the problem under Win98 SE prevents from having the disk volume name. I keep you informed as soon as the problem is fixed. PS: If somebody has knowledge in win32 system programming, its assistance is the welcome.
Regards,
Zero

Hi Jim, hi list,
You encountered some problems :
- Under GNU/Linux only root user can get the disk label and may be user who have "su" rights. - You can change the volume label in GWhere with a right click on the disk and select "Change volume name". - I've just saw the problem with Win98SE (and may be with Win95 OSR2). I don't think it's a problem with GTK Runtime. I think it's a problem with win32 call functions. You can prevent this problem with disable the option "Display information" in the "Managment" tabbed pane. I am very sorry for the nuisance with the Win98SE version. I will investigate to solve quickly the problem. I hope to have answered to all your questions.

Best regards,
Zero

Is anyone using GWhere successfully with Win98SE? If so, what's the secret? I'm using the package (version 0.1.1) nicely under Mandrake 8.1, but there it fails to pick up the volume name for each CD that I'm adding to the catalog. Neither does it recognize the disk type. I had hopes that installing it on a Win98SE machine on my home-office LAN would overcome the volume-name problem and make generation of a comprehensive archive catalog much simpler. However, on the Win98SE machine it takes several minutes for the initial display to complete and become usable, and during that time the machine is totally frozen as if all interrupts have been shut off. Each selection has a similar delay. It fails to detect the CD-ROM drive even though I can have it open in a background window. The only thing that it DOES do as expected is display the catalog created by Mandy 8.1 once I've mapped that machine to a Windows drive letter (and put up with the long delay after each mouse click). I suspect the problem is in the gtk runtime package but that's just a guess. Alternatively if anyone can tell me how to make the Mandy 8.1 installation read the Volume Label from the CD so that I can enter it as the disk name, that would solve my problem and obviate any need to use the Windows version...
  --jk--
  mailto:address@hidden
Visit me at http://www.jimkyle.com

Best regards,
Zero
Main author,
GWhere - Another way to manage your catalogs!!
http://www.gwhere.org