gwhere-discussion

Re: [GWhere-discussion] todo - new GWhere feature

From: Zero - GWhere
Subject: Re: [GWhere-discussion] todo - new GWhere feature
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:16:46 +0200

Hi list,

I post a discussion between Thomas and me :
<discussion>
[Zero] I see two goals for GWhere :
- To not load all datas when the user open a catalog. With this way the
but it is very important.

[Thomas] Yes, it will speed up startup and they can be loaded during
searching. Did you thinked about indexing data and/or implement database
backedn for storing data like MySQL ? It will boost speed even with
tousands of CDs.

[Zero] - Support a MDI-like feature. MDI is Multi Document Interface. In
fact when you ask to allow tree organization of disks, you want to open
severals catalogs in a same time. One catalog may be "My music", another
"My distributions", another "Videos", and more... Over it, we can
implement a file format which make links between a tree organization and
catalogs.

[Thomas] Yes, we talked about this linking file-type (I will call it
master file - MF) yet. User can make trees management in it without
having to open any of catalogs.

[Zero] Dynamics fields are very import for the next generation of
cataloguer. At time, some users have too much information in GWhere. And
others users don't have enought information. The best way (I think) is
to make the majority of fields dynamics, and to allow users to choose
which fields are needed.

[Thomas] I think we can lat user not only to choose from group of
parameters, but also to define their own (flags, locations,...) - he
will define its type (string, integer,...) and MF will containt these,
so after opening it, user will see all field in which he can search,
including/excluding nil values where some of catalogs does not have
field.
You can do two MF formats - first will be one MF and some number of
files and second one single file, in fact .tar.gz(bz2)iped first version
- this way it will be simple to manage if user have more catalogs. It
will do little problem with adressing catalog inside this compressed
master file (CMF), but you can use something like
:bzip2:/home/user/catalog.cmf:trance.ctg
</discussion>

Yours,
Zero