gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Encapsulating enfilade/string matching in CellTexter?

From: b . fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Encapsulating enfilade/string matching in CellTexter?
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:23:56 +0200 (MEST)

> >     text = cell.t()
> >     text = callExternalEditor(text)
> >     cell.setText(text)
> >
> > Then, cell.t() would have to put in the image spans as special tags
> > (e.g., <<IMAGE:328o78234>> or what-you-like) into the returned string--
> > that's an interface change.
>
> But this solution is not acceptable.

Because it messes up the character count. (Of course, showing funny
characters instead of spans is bad, too...)

Hm. Would it work to simply use different characters for each special span,
so that you could recognize which one was which? With the 6000-odd
Java-accessible 'custom' characters in Unicode, there might be enough room for
that...
dunno.

> Also, the problem with using setText() is that you don't really know
> where the text came from; you should only use setText if you're setting
> it from scratch.

I don't agree. What setText() implies is that you can't give xanalogical
addresses for the text-- for example, when a user has pasted plain text into the
cell. In these cases, I believe the matching to be appropriate.

-b.