gzz-dev

[Gzz] 30th-31th (Benja)

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] 30th-31th (Benja)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:59:20 +0200

I've committed a change to ScrollSpanMaker that creates new
TransientTextScrolls when the old ones have gone immutable.

REASON: When saving one of its spans, we can simply finalize the
TransientTextScroll (then save it, then use its id). We don't need to make it
create new blocks internally, nor notify its SpanMaker. The SpanMaker simply
makes intelligent use of the ImmutableExceptions, for a change.

DOWNSIDE: ScrollSpanMaker now uses only TransientTextScrolls, no other kind
of text scroll. This is not a problem IMO-- you want something else, you just
create a different SpanMaker. It's less effort than creating the new
TextScroll implementation.

Here's one other thing to consider, for sometime--
    What we really want to do is making blocks not with all spans, but with
only those that our SliceVersion references. Then we don't have the
difficulty with FakeSpans: When we save and load again, the fake spans must
still be there-- so we do need to save  them somehow-- and if they're copied
to 'real' user cells, they must acquire global ids-- yet when we create a new
one each time the cursor moves, say, we have far too much data. So we simply
save those that are there when we save a version-- that is reasonably cheap...

But as I said, that's not for now.
-b.