gzz-dev

[Gzz] IPTPS

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] IPTPS
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 00:23:28 +0200

Hi all,

Browsing the web on distributed hashing, I found a lot of resources from a workshop called IPTPS'02 (First International Workshop on Peer To Peer Systems). Here is a must read:

   http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/173.pdf

This paper's called "Security Considerations for Peer-to-Peer Distributed Hash Tables." It does not only list problems, but also ways to work around these problems. Really important stuff.

The whole electronic proceedings are at:

   http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/

This was in March 2002-- somehow I get the feeling that a) we don't want to go too deep into implementing a Storm p2p network yet, because distributed hashing is too immature; and b) we'd REALLY like cooperation with people who're into that kind of research.

Now, the next workshop is February, 2003. The page is:

   http://iptps03.cs.berkeley.edu/

This would be a great thing to participate in (presenting a position paper about gzz.media/Storm). Not only to make Storm more widely known, but also as a place to really learn something-- at least the output of IPTPS'01 seems to have been really cutting-edge.

Don't know whether our stuff is good/pertinent enough to get in, but I think it's interesting enough for it to be worth trying ;-)

Problem is that submissions are due October 25th. But that still gives three weeks after the latter of the two demos.

- Benja