gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] ``search_bindings--benja``: Convenient bindings for full-text

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] ``search_bindings--benja``: Convenient bindings for full-text search
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:31:59 +0200

> I propose that:
>
> - Pressing the space bar once enter "search mode."

Sounds dangerous but might work.

I think it would probably be appropriate to make this optional initially
as well.

> - In search mode, characters and spaces entered will be passed to a
>  user-specifyable "search policy" object (implementing, for example,
>  case-insensitive full-text search).

Hmm, do you mean that? Or that the string of the characters will be passed?
I.e. one by one or all the so-far typed ones?

> The search policy object
>  will decide on a cell that is the "current search result"
>  (bindings not specified in this PEG will allow moving between
>  different possible search results); while in search mode, this cell
>  will somehow be shown on the screen.

Should be showing more than one.

> - Entering two spaces in a row will terminate search mode. The
>  current search result will be made the next action's
>  prefix argument.

This is the part that sounds most awkward. Not the not-automatically-moving
but rather, the two spaces.

Modes usually use the same key for entering and exiting.

Would ESC work for exit also?

> Additionally, it would be nice if ``SP foo Enter`` were
> an abbreviation for moving to cell "foo" directly (in the
> right window). This is more like searching works in e.g. Emacs
> (where to move to word "foo" by searching for it, you type
> ``Ctrl-S foo Enter``).

This I quite like.

Also needs a binding to go to the next search result in a list.

> - If he decides that he likes his way better, think again. :)
>  We could decide to follow his opinion, or we could
>  fork the "Director's Cut" that implements his preference.

We'll need to fork things anyway for the bindings...
That's why having them modular and optional is good.

        Tuomas