gzz-dev

Fwd: [Gzz] 4th & 5th (hh)

From: hemppah
Subject: Fwd: [Gzz] 4th & 5th (hh)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:10:40 +0200

It was 4th and 5th of Nov (NOT 5th and 6th) ! :)

----- Forwarded message from address@hidden -----
    Date: Wed,  6 Nov 2002 09:08:35 +0200
    From: address@hidden
 Subject: [Gzz] 5th & 6th (hh)
      To: address@hidden

Master thesis:

-Book(s): Harnessing the power of disruptive technologies
-Techologies: DHTs (Kademlia --> EDonkey2000 and Overnet) XOR Metrics. Overnet
and ed2k are first concrete examples of DHTs in real life (as far as I know,
Chord, CAN, Tapestry and Pastry have only been research projects).
-Misc. 1: In Gnutella system there are number of simultaneous Breadth-First
searches
-Misc. 2: In Freenet system, however, the basic concept of search mechanism
relies on Depth-First algorithm

Open issues related to DHTs (I asked about these thing from the author of
Kademlia p2p system):

- -

> So in theory, it should scale to 1000's millions of users (billions), right ?

Yes. The only constraint is that the routing table needs to be maintained
in a timely manner. The routing table has size proportional to
log n, where n is the number of peers in the system. So as long as the
Internet is fast enough to maintain this size routing table, we are good.
People think that this is the case.

> Are there any weak points in your system from the scalability/efficieny point
> of view ?

There's the problem what to do when one word (e.e. "mp3") is very popular.
So the question is where do you store it and how do you deal with it.
But this is not a problem of Kademlia, rather it is a general problem of
DHTs (Distributed Hash Tables)

- - -

-Hermanni

----- End forwarded message -----