gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 11th (hh)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 11th (hh)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:22:24 +0100

Hi Hermanni,

address@hidden wrote:

-DSHT (distributed sloppy hash table). Anyone aware of this ? This method should
solve hotspot problem related to DHTs (could solve other issues also).

No, but I've read what you've forwarded. Sounds good, but my instinct is to wait until more people are working on it before thinking too much about it ;-)

Preliminarily: I think DSHTs are obviously great for getting data by its hash. I'm not sure yet about distributed indexing, which is also important; for example, in Gzz, we need a "find all links to and transclusions of this piece of data" query. Here, it does not suffice to find a single link/transclusion; we need to find all. DSHTs will probably not help here.

- Benja