gzz-dev

[Gzz] 12th (Benja)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] 12th (Benja)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:42:57 +0100

Trying to get back to writing daily reports. I'm not very good at keeping up the discipline. :-( (I wouldn't mind if somebody would pm me with a short note when I'm obviously starting to forget it again...)

- Processing [dtnrg-interest] mail (DTN is for delay-tolerant network, the generalization of interplanetary internetworking that may be useful for Tuomas' ideas about scheduling tasks while offline). - Learning about IBP (Internet Backplane, a system for sharing storage and keeping storage along network routes-- for example to cache data-- that is currently in use with 5TB of storage distributed over the US, Europe and Asia; there's a proposal to use IBP as a storage layer for DTN). - Thinking about DTN/p2p network bridging. (We want to be able to queue a request to a DHT.) - A bit of thinking about security issues with the Storm extension proposal Tuomas and I discussed on the list: So far, we were planning to store 20 random bytes in the *header*; with the proposal, that would lead to the counter-intuitive situation that distributing the header may give away parts of the body: if 90% of the body are already known, with them and the header the rest may be reconstructible by brute force. This is counter-intuitive because the header refers to the body only through cryptographic hashes; programmers might assume that giving the header by itself away cannot do harm, which is wrong.

- Benja