gzz-dev

[Gzz] Fwd: Re: A few questions regarding Kademlia

From: hemppah
Subject: [Gzz] Fwd: Re: A few questions regarding Kademlia
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:53:07 +0300

----- Forwarded message from Petar Maymounkov <address@hidden> -----

> > We are currently developing a distributed hypermedia system, named
> > Fenfire (http://fenfire.org). At the lowest level, our system store data
> > as *blocks*. A block is like a file but it cannot be changed,
> > and instead of a file name it is identified by a
> > cryptographic content hash (SHA-1).
> >
> > We are building a P2P extension to our storage layer that allows one to
> > find and download a block if *anybody* on the 'net publishes it. We have
> > decided to use Kademlia DHT for locating data in a distributed
> > environment. However, I have a few questions regarding Kademlia:
> >
> > 1) What is the current situation with the C++ implementation of
> > Kademlia?

It is 80% ready and on hold, until the Online Codes file sharing are done.

> > 2) When you plan to release the C++ implementation and would the license
> > be GPL or LGPL, or...?

It will be available under some license that doesn't allow commercial use.

> > 3) Excluding your implementation, do you know if there is a project
> > which implements fully the features which you described in the original
> > Kademlia paper?

No.

> > 4) Altough GISP (http://gisp.jxta.org) implements Chord-based routing
> > table and lacks of Kademlia's routing table abstraction
> > (binary-like-tree), you list GISP one of those implements Kademlia. Is
> > the reason that GISP implements XOR-distance function (as Kademlia
> > does)?

We have a link to GISP only because we were told that they implement
Kademlia. We haven't checked it explicitly.

> > 5) It has been over a year since the original Kademlia paper was
> > published. A lot of new DHT papers have been published thereafter.
> > Today, do you still think that Kademlia is the best DHT available ?

Yes.

> > Btw, Kademlia web site (http://kademlia.scs.cs.nyu.edu/) hasn't been
> > available for couple of days; Mozilla claims that the connection is
> > refused ;).

It will be down for a little while. Changing operating systems and such.
Maybe there will be new content when it comes up.

> > Best regards,
> > Hermanni Hyytiälä

Petar

----- End forwarded message -----