gzz-dev

[Gzz] marrow extortion

From: Sophy Greenwood
Subject: [Gzz] marrow extortion
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 02:48:05 +0200

The fact is that this is a meeting, as I've just told you, was mischaracterized, at least in the opinion of people who attended it.
Has he spoken to the Speaker, actually spoken to Hastert? CASEY: Well, David, I don't think we've had a chance to look at the specific language that was passed and certainly I think we want to do that before we respond specifically to this issue. And that's simply one of the ways in which they are all cooperating together with each other, as well as with us, to do something that's in the interest of the broader international community.
For those of us working in the White House, we're horrified when we hear stories like this. These are things that happen, and they need to be addressed and the individuals responsible. And what did you mean when you said there have been scandals, more than simply naughty emails on the Hill?
SNOW: Let me just finish answering the question.
I thought I was clear, but I'll be clear again. Any conversations that help promote that effort are obviously positive.
Whether they've actually been spent at this point I would not think so, but as far as I know they've all been allocated.
SNOW: Again, I've got to find out what he knew.
Third, you're absolutely right, the American people need confidence that this sort of thing is not tolerated, and that affirmative steps will be taken to make sure it doesn't happen again. I spoke with Henry on Friday. And for our part what we want to do is encourage all people an all members of the political establishment there to respect the democratic results.
That has always been the case.
What does he know about the emails? Because we're not going to be able to come back today and talk to you. And I know you don't know everything, but surely there's been some communication. The behavior was reprehensible. And the Speaker has turned over emails and documents to the Justice Department, which they are reviewing. So as far as answering particular questions about who knew what, when or what they knew or how they're going to deal with it, I'll refer those questions to the Speaker. Obviously anything involving decisions affecting the constitution of Japan are for the Japanese people to make.