h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: H5MD box group

From: Hart, David Blaine
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: H5MD box group
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:40:14 +0000

Hi Olaf, thanks for your reply.

The main reason I’m interested in an offset element is because of the way LAMMPS does its boundaries. LAMMPS stores its triclinic bounding box as [xlo, xhi], [ylo, yhi], [zlo, zhi], [xy, xz, yz]. Now this is nice, because it is easily put into an H = (a b c) = ( (xx, 0, 0)’ (xy, yy, 0)’ (xz, yz, zz)’ ) matrix, which the ‘edges’ element seems to already expect for triclinic boxes. But LAMMPS does certain things, like NPT calculations, where it changes both the –lo and –hi elements simultaneously to increase/decrease the volume. And I know lots of the LAMMPS coders do their simulations in space where a particular dimension is bounded from (–X/2, X/2] rather than from (0, X]. So while the H-matrix, or box->edges element, provides complete information for the shape and orientation of the bounding box, assuming that the a, b, and c box vectors start at the origin can result in a box that is offset from the atom positions.

This is particularly vivid when using the LAMMPS XTC plugin, which outputs a gromacs-formatted trajectory; if such an output is visualized in VMD, or any other viewer, the box can wind up offset from the atoms by a huge amount, making visualization really look bad. While it is possible to TCL script a solution for this, using pbc wrap to put the atoms into the box, it can take a long time to do. Another issue is that for NPT simulations, the VMD box will expand and contract from the box origin (0,0,0) while the atoms are expanding and contracting from the box center. If the box origin is stored, the box can just be shifted to the right position for the frame, and there is no extra post-processing needed. The VMD-lammpstrj plugin does this for LAMMPS text dump files, but, of course, they are text files and huge which is why I want to move to h5md anyway J

I’ve re-written this email several times, as I’ve sorted out what I want to do in my head. It would seem that I’m looking at two things. The first, converting my current dump files to the H5MD format, I can do a little bit looser and store things in a separate root group if necessary. The second, writing a LAMMPS plugin that would output H5MD files directly, I probably want to be a bit more formal, specifying what extra fields are output as particle information in an h5md module, so that the LAMMPS code can point to a module definition defining the elements within a particles group (like the thermodynamics module does with observables) that can be linked to each other with the semantic versioning number. Is that the approach you would suggest? Or would you still suggest putting the non-standardized particle data in a different root group? [You convinced me that adding particles/…/box/offset would be a bad idea, but I still think that particles/…/offset would be useful with lammps outputs.]

Thanks, David