h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] File format versioning

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] File format versioning
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:42:28 +0100

Am 14.11.2014, 11:39 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 02:41:46PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 03:54:07PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:

> >Felix Höfling writes:
> >
> How is this handled by other file formats? Does a Python 2.7 code
> run with a Python 2.4 interpreter? Or can Acrobat Reader 4 (=very
> old) process an encrypted 1.4 file?

I am not bringing a conclusion yet but my "idea of the day"™ is: what does the HDF group do about it? And they have a document explaining how backward and
forward compatibility works in HDF5 :-)

http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/faq/bkfwd-compat.html

Here is another line of thought. We could use the following principle:
As long as it is possible for a H5MD i.j+1 reader to read a H5MD i.j file
unambiguously and in a single codebase, we may use i.j+1 for the update. Else,
the version jumps to i+1.0

This is what I've had in mind and tried to exemplify in previous posts. The motiviation is acutally quiet pragmatic, we just need a clear definition.

According to the HDF5 manual, this is called "forward compatibility", isn't it? So we may fix the wording in H5MD 1.0 from "backward" to "forward".

Felix