halevt-dev

Re: [Halevt-dev] halevt user cannot change speed on /dev/dvd

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [Halevt-dev] halevt user cannot change speed on /dev/dvd
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 01:18:34 +0100

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 11:55:41PM +0000, Bengt Nilsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I get "permission denied" for the line "/sbin/hdparm -E4 /dev/dvd"
> when I do "halevt -d", while "halevt -d -u root" works.

My wild guess is that the halevt user should be given some kind
of permission on the device.  So maybe you need to put the halevt
user in a special device group, like cdrom, or maybe you need
to add some configuration in Consolekit configuration files.
If this is indeed the issue at hand, the answer will be
specific of your GNU/Linux distribution and of your setup.

To test whether it is linked with halevt or merely a permission
issue, you can su as the halevt user and check whether the
command still errors out.

> Is it safe to use root as the HALEVT_USER?

Not really.

> Would it not be better to give user halevt enough rights to do this task?

Yes, it would be better.

--
Pat