hddtemp-dev

[hddtemp-dev] Device name for hardware RAID

From: Rob Borland
Subject: [hddtemp-dev] Device name for hardware RAID
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:45:01 +0200

I've installed hddtemp on two mail servers running Linux.

One server has two IDE drives and software RAID-1 and hddtemp works very well
on this server.

The other server has a hardware RAID-5 controller.  I can't figure out the
device name to supply to hddtemp.  Mount shows device names like /dev/ida/c0d0p5
but these are obviously logical names.  The server is a Compaq ML370 with
hot-pluggable drives.  I can't find anything relevant on the Compaq/HP site
about these drives and whether they provide SMART signals or the device name to
use for individual drives under Linux.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Rob Borland