health-dev

Re: [Health-dev] HMIS docs

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] HMIS docs
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:18:51 +0000

Dear Gerald,
On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:22:06 +0100
Gerald Wiese <wiese@gnuhealth.org> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I have some points to discuss regarding the documentation:

Great :)

> Modules in Detail chapter:
>
> I think every module should appear here and have the same name as in
> the GUI (health, health_socioeconomics, etc.). A student started
> working on this. If you disagree with the approach, tell us soon
> please. He will create all subsections and work on some modules but
> obviously there will remain open todos.
>

> https://docs.gnuhealth.org/hmis/modulesindetail/index.html

Probably the best approach is to have a generic term and in
parentheses the module name:

For instance:
Socioeconomics (health_socioeconomics)
Gynecology and Obstetrics (health_gyneco)

I like the concept of sub-sections, specially for modules such as
pediatrics (pediatrics_growth_charts, pediatrics_growth_charts_who..)

> GNU Health HMIS functionality chapter:
>
> For me those keywords are still not explained precisely enough. I
> think longer explanations and a graphic would be nice, maybe even
> including Thalamus & MyGNUHealth for an overview. This could also
> show if Patient Management, Community Management & Laboratory
> Management are subsets of HMIS. And if I understand HIS right,
> (multiple) HMIS & Thalamus would be part of it?
>
> This structure should also match the following documentation.
> Currently there is a chapter for Patient Management outside Health
> Center Management, a chapter for Laboratory Management inside Health
> Center Management and no chapter called Community Management.

It's a bit hard to decide which method would be best, whether we use a
package-approach method, where the "Modules in detail" will take more
relevance, or a general functionality approach, in which we define the
main blocks (Community / demographics, patient, institution management
and reporting) and specific references are made to each package/module
for the particular documentation section.

Personally, I like more the latter, but is not easy, and probably a mix
will be the best... what we have to avoid is duplication of concepts /
documentation.

> Besides abbreviations EMR & HMIS are never written out.
>
> https://docs.gnuhealth.org/hmis/functionality.html
>

> GNU Health Federation
>
> This chapter can be removed no?
>
> https://docs.gnuhealth.org/hmis/techguide/techguide.html#techguide-techguide-federation-technical-guide
>
> It’s here now as separate Thalamus section:
>
> https://docs.gnuhealth.org/thalamus/
>
> Then the link here would have to be updated as well:
>
> https://docs.gnuhealth.org/hmis/gnuhealthfederation/thalamus.html
>
> I can do that if you agree.

I agree.  We should just have a couple of paragraphs explaining the main
concepts behind Thalamus and then a link to the component

> Let me know what you think :)

I think your ideas are very good :)

All the best
Luis