heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] goals (was Re: caught up except for?)

From: joshua.hold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] goals (was Re: caught up except for?)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 6:07:44 -0500

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 address@hidden wrote:
> > Here is a brief errata:  I claim that your desirability
> > is the same thing as my "individual intention".  This
> > is not correct.  What you mean by desirability involves
> > two things:
> >
> > 1. I want something (Sally wants orange juice.)
> > 2. I got what a wanted (Mommy gives Sally orange juice.)
> > or
> > 2. I didn't get what I wanted (Mommy puts on her glasses.)
> > or
> > 2. <whatever>
> >

> Right.  Desirabliity according to me (and by the way OCC) is a property
> ascribed to an event and depends on one's goal structure.  As an
> extremely crude approximation, we might say it is dependent on how
> congruent a single goal is to a given event.
>
> > In all these examples, there are two steps.  What I mean
> > by "individual-intention" is only step 1.  For example:
> >
> > 1. Billy wants to go on the train.
>
> hrmm, maybe "individual-intention" is the same thing as "goal" or "focal
> goal" or "goal structure"?

How about this, "individual-intention" is one of:

  goal           "I want a banana"
  anti-goal      "I don't want ..."
  lack of goal   "I am not hungry."

> > 1. Billy is not hungry.
> >
> > or
> >
> > 1. Billy is crying.
>
> ...hrmm, well, this last exemplar, "Billy is crying" seems like it
> does not fit too well with the former two exemplars.

I was trying to give an example of an "anti-goal".
Typically anti-goals occur in reaction to
something, so it is a little bit awkward to give
an example of an isolated anti-goal.

> The category you
> are trying to define is called "individual-intention".  At first I
> thought it was something like goal or focal goal or goal structure, but
> now when you add "Billy is crying" my internal case-based reasoning system
> is quite confused.  Can you try to define "individual intention"?

I assume that both "goal" and "lack of goal" are obvious
enough.  By anti-goal I mean a goal that increases the
distance between where I am now and where I want to be.

Maybe this is the part of the goal-satisfaction model
which distinguishes between goal-blockage and goal-failure.
For example:

Tracy wants a banana.
Mommy gives Tracy an apple.

If Tracy's goal is ridged then she may construe Mommy's
action as fulfilling an anti-goal.  She may start crying
now in protest: "I don't want an apple, I want a banana!"

There is a correspondance (to some extent):

unfulfilled    fulfilled
-----------    --------------
goal           happy
anti-goal      sad
no goal        indifferent

When you read the powerloom KIF file then you'll
need to remember how to interpret the terminology:

personal = goal
suffer   = anti-goal
purity   = no goal

I will probably change the terminology after we figure
out what makes the most sense.

> Oh, I'd say lets start with accepting any format.  Keep a close eye on
> 'em.  If we find that we've got 20 stories after 2 weeks we might have
> to put some tighter constraints on things.

Yes -- OK

Things are coming together in my head.  :-)