heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] address@hidden: feedback on site 2004-01-01]

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] address@hidden: feedback on site 2004-01-01]
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 08:28:42 +0530

----- Forwarded message from "William L. Jarrold" <address@hidden> -----

From: "William L. Jarrold" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: feedback on site 2004-01-01

Hi Joshua,

Happy New Year!

Once again, this is a dream come true.  So, although I might have many
requested changes, I'm overall v grateful.

Here is a start:

(1) I went to About -> Simulation Adequacy -> a page of text about Colby's
PARRY and
"How Science Should Work"

At that top of that page there is "Use of Situation in Psychology".
Siutation?  Huh?  You meant "Simulation" right?....

Also, I think there has been a fair amount of simulation or cognitive
modeling in psychology (I'll try to forward you a conference
announcement about this very thing).  So maybe a title like ...

"PARRY; an Early Step in Affective Simulation"

..would be more apt than something as grand and overarching as "Use of
Simulation in Psychology"

(2) At http://s89740195.onlinehome.us/ohl/opine.cgi?leaf=bib it would
    be better to italicise the little paragraph blurbs under each
    biblio entry, no?  Clear distinction between biblio pointer and
    explain summary ==> Less confusing on the eyes.

(3) It would be cool to have a hotlink from OHL to the aleader dev
    site complete with all the email discussion, no?

(4) It would be cool to rename aleader to open-heart-logic, what do
    you think?  That way when someone googles, instead of seeing...

    mail.gnu.org/archive/html/aleader-dev/ 2003-09/msg00001.html

        ...they will see...

    mail.gnu.org/archive/html/open-heart-logic-dev/ 2003-09/msg00001.html

   ...what do you think?  Would that be a little more descriptive and
   eye catching (or maybe I should say, click catching?)

(5) When I read this
    one...http://s89740195.onlinehome.us/ohl/opine.cgi?leaf=therapy...
    I feel the most nervous....Here's why:

        (a) The quote from Beck is long.  Although you gave credit,
        copyright law would prohibit copying the entire book.  What
        does copyright law allow?  I'm not sure.  Maybe research
        (google?) on "Fair Use Clause."

        (b) The stuff about who is right for cognitive therapy is
        interesting, but I feel a little nervous about it.  Maybe it
        is just because I didn't come up with it.  Maybe I am
        suffering from hot cognition (-;....Lets see....It is a little
        far afield from the focus of my dissertation.  My dissertation
        is about modeling emotion.  Hopes for doing some sort of
        therapy based on the model is one thing.  But a discussion of
        who is right for cog therapy and who is not is a little
        outside...I suppose it does relate in the sense that heart and
        head need to be balanced...But again, this is more in the
        clinical/philsophy domain than in the science domain...What
        else: It is speculative?...right? I mean you just inferred it,
        you didn't find a chart like this or this kind of info
        somewhere in the literature did you?  If so, cite it.  If not,
        make explicit this is your belief.

        (c) cognitive reframing....Thanks so much for putting that up
        there...How about this, can you add a little more explanation
        of cognitive reframing...How about this:

        A main purpose of cognitive reframing is to increase the
        patient/client's ability to take positive as opposed to
        negative viewpoints on a given state of affairs.  For example,
        there is the cliche, "Woe's me, the glass is half empty."  A
        more positive cognitive reframe of this state of affairs is
        "Yes!  The glass is half full."  Cognitive reframing can be
        viewed as a technique that causes increases ones attention on
        the positive.  It increases the tendency to make positive
        statements *automatically* and think positive thoughts
        *automatically*.

        Aspects of the model being developed for the Open Heart Logic
        project may suggest cognitive aids for cognitive reframing.
        This is because "goal substitution" is an important part of
        the model.  Building the model have required us to articulate
        a procedure for performing goal substitution that.  By the
        way, because our model is required to be implemented on a
        computer, it must be extremely explicit and precise.  We
        believe this to be an asset: any procedures that we write for
        our computer model and then turn into clinical therapy
        techniques will have an added level of rigor behind them.

        As an example of how such computer modeling effort might have
        clinical payoff consider the following example.  (If you read
        William Jarrold's dissertation about "Type II Goal
        Substitution" the passage below might have more meaning.)

        ..Then go into my example in the video store...

(6) be careful about copying sections from my dissertation.  My
    dissertaion must be an original piece of work.  If there is a
    website that has large tracts of my dissertation, I could get into
    trouble with the (baseless) accusation that my work is unoriginal.
    Once I get it officially revised and reviewed by the "Ruler Lady"
    (she literally measures margins with a rule) and all that
    bureacracy, THEN I see no bars against copying large tracts -- I
    will give permission.  These are just my strong suspicions, I am
    not expert enough on copyright law or UT dissertation policy.

I could go on and on but Ugh, I spent WAY too long on this when I
REALLY need to be finishing up my diss.  Whatever, I'm glad to see
this glowing on my computer screen.

Bill