help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] Reg_Cl_Plane_Curves

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] Reg_Cl_Plane_Curves
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:09:16 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Martijn van Manen wrote:

> From the manual:
>
> "At present, I have no fixed definition of what constitutes "regularity" as
> far as Reg_Cl_Plane_Curves are concerned"
>
> In algebraic geometry one calls a curve regular when it is smooth.

[...]

Thanks for the information.  I'll store it away for future use.  I've
started working on routines for finding the intersections of polygons,
surface hiding, and folding operations.  Decomposing convex
polygons will, of course, be much easier than decomposing curves.
I have an idea for how to do it for ellipses and circles, but I have
a lot of work to do for the polygonal case first.

> Great fun with curves can be found in
> "Ebene algebraische Kurven" by Brieskorn & Knoerrer.
> There is also an english translation of that book.

I'll see if the library here has it.
I have a book of the same title by Gerd Fischer, but it's
over my head.  By the way, I really
enjoyed looking at Coxeter's books about polytopes.
I'm reading Jaenich's _Lineare Algebra_, but
it seems like a very long road.  I'm sure that improving my
math skills will benefit the GNU 3DLDF project, but I'm not
expecting quick results, and I hope no one else is, either.

Laurence