Re: [Help-bash] Performing quote removal on data

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Performing quote removal on data
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 16:56:06 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 04:49:49PM -0400, Maarten Billemont wrote:
> On May 28, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > imadev:~/tmp$ compgen -o bashdefault "di"
> > imadev:~/tmp$ compgen -o bashdefault "di*"
> > imadev:~/tmp$ compgen -o default "di"
> > dir 1
> > dir 2

> Interesting.  You're probably running an older bash version then, because for
> me:
>
> $ compgen -o bashdefault "di"
> $ compgen -o bashdefault "di*"
> dir 1
> dir 2
> $ compgen -o default "di"
> dir 1
> dir 2

I ran those commands under bash 4.3.18.  Maybe one of us has tweaked
some shell option that changes what "bashdefault" does.  (In which case,
"bashdefault" isn't a very good name.)

This is all a total mystery to me!

For the record, the shell where I ran those has dotglob off, extglob off,
etc.  Every shopt line with "glob" in it is off.