Re: [Help-bash] pipe character at end of command ?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] pipe character at end of command ?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 13:17:53 -0500

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 05:29:34PM +0000, Ulf Andersson A wrote:
> That is true. The old geezers way was to add the continuation characters.
> Clearly things have changed since last I studied shell scripting.

The shells haven't changed.  Your learning material and examples simply
never covered it.

Even the pre-posix Bourne shell acts exactly the same way, even using
the PS2 variable to hold the prompt.

imadev:~$ /usr/old/bin/sh
$ true &&
*#>

As for documentation, see "PROMPTING" in the bash man page.  It's
another one of those things that's so common, and has been around for
so long, that it may not even be spelled out explicitly, but the
PROMPTING section at least mentions it.