Re: [Help-bash] Undocumented caret logical operator?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Undocumented caret logical operator?
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 16:45:11 -0600

Eric Blake wrote:
> But since printf is a relatively modern shell invention, I'm seriously
> wondering if a system old enough to have /bin/sh that understands ^ as a
> pipe operator would also lack printf, and thus break this snippet.

True and agreed.  However when I administered HP-UX I always installed
printf on the older systems which were ones that also happened to have
a Bourne shell.  Therefore while non-standard it isn't inconceivable
that a /bin/sh Bourne shell system might have /usr/local/bin/printf
available.

The test feels like it is *almost* a good test for it if the printf
were replaced with an appropriate echo command.

Bob