Re: memory lost

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: memory lost
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:58:09 +0200

At 23:30 +0200 2001/04/30, alexandre.gouraud wrote:
>I have a problem with my parser. I am loosing 80 bytes of
>memory, and I can't manage to find out where.
> I don't think the memory lost is due to flex,
>because the amount of free memory doesn't change before and
>after each call to yylex.
>****************** FLEX file *******************************
>"sanjay"          {lvalp->charPtr=yytext;return SANJAY_TOKEN;}

Note that you do not copy yytext. It means that in

>**********************  BISON file ************************
>hostname_group : hostname
>   | hostname hostname_group
>hostname :SANJAY_TOKEN

when you come to hostname_group, yytext is no longer what you have
expected. (yytext is just a pointer into a buffer, not a copy of something.)

Check if that may have something to do with your problem.

Also, it is better to write
  hostname_group:
      hostname
    | hostname_group hostname
because the parsing then can take place using bounded stack space (see 3.4
in the Bison manual).