Re: [FC-general] Re: How to change default outcome of shift/reduce conf

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: [FC-general] Re: How to change default outcome of shift/reduce conflict?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:14:05 +0100

At 16:57 +0100 2002/01/15, Tim Van Holder wrote:
 He was right; plain text does not convey the
>intended tone of a message (in this case, it could have been said in
>anger or in jest, for example).  As such it is always a good idea to
>explicitly show the intended tone of an ambiguous statement (and, in
>fact, this is common practice, not just the way he does things).

This is not the list for such discussions. But I recall that the reply was
for somebody using an abbreviation calling people "stupid", and that the
"-)" was deliberately excluded so that the original person may interpret it
as he pleases. :-)

>> Have you ever thought of that telling others what to do the way you do
>> could be interpreted as an insult?
>... no, I don't see how indicating to someone how s/th is usually done
>is an insult.  It may come off as patronizing, but that is a subjective
>matter.

This is a typical European attitude, where the KISS ASS principle is widely
spread. :-)

Now, please stick to the list topic, and please do not bother me with
private email about this issue. :-)