Appropriate

From: EXT-Pennington, Dale K
Subject: Appropriate
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:24:34 -0600

Howdy Folks,

Disclaimer first, I have barely perused the Bison manual, and am trying to
determine if Bison (or something similar) is right for my needs. So if I
sound a little naive or silly, please bear with me.

The situation I am dealing with a complex set of network messages, with alot
of optional components, and validation rules. In this case the input would
be a binary string. A given token would be n binary digits, with n varying
depending on what token I was expecting. At any point in the parsing process
I know which type token I am expecting next. I suspect the last item is what
is meant by "context sensitive", and disqualifies Bison.

The overall goal here is to be able to decode/parse incoming messages into a
structure to use in my program, and also be able to take the same structure,
validate its contents, and encode it into a message.

If Bison can handle such a job, please clear my ignorance. If it cannot, but
you know of a parser that can, could you recommend it to me.

Thanks.
Dale Pennington