Re: shift/reduce and reduce/reduce conflicts

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: Re: shift/reduce and reduce/reduce conflicts
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:25:01 +0100

Hans Aberg wrote:

> >   May I run bison on a file without type checks and  actions just to
> >check the grammar (right before to put C code in  it)?
>
> Yes. Bison does nothing to the actions but to copy them over, and checks
> the types to make sure they match. It is probably better to successively
> develop the code though.

There is one exception. If you insert any mid-rule actions, they
will modify the internal grammar (because bison has to commit to the
rule at this point). So if you plan to use some later, you might
want to insert placeholders when testing the grammar:

foo: bar {} baz;

Frank

--
Frank Heckenbach, address@hidden