Re: Non-greedy wildcard possible? (Long)

From: Magnus Lie Hetland
Subject: Re: Non-greedy wildcard possible? (Long)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:22:59 +0200

Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:

> At 23:01 +0200 2004/05/18, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> >> What is the Atox?
> >
> >It's what all this is all about :)
> >
> >It's a tool for writing plain-text-to-XML converters. See
> >http://atox.sf.net for more information.
>
> I had a look at this. One idea that comes to my mind is that you
> might want to contact the Gutenberg project (founder "Michael S.
> Hart" <address@hidden>). It translates books all into ASCII,
> but in various situations this is not sufficient (say a book with
> footnotes). Then one will require ways to handle that.

Yeah -- Gutenberg books was one of the early use cases I thought of.
(I've been thinking about this sort of thing for years, even though
I've only been working on Atox for a relatively short while.)

The distribution includes a simple example of adding markup to a piece
of fiction. (I thought about using a Gutenberg text there, but I
decided to go with a Public Domain text, to be sure I didn't do
anything wrong.)

I haven't really frozen the format language yet, and the
implementation is a bit slow, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for
practical use yet (certainly not as a critical component); but it
certainly works well enough for experimentation.

Thanks,

- M

--
Magnus Lie Hetland              "Wake up!"  - Rage Against The Machine
http://hetland.org              "Shut up!"  - Linkin Park