RE: install bison

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: RE: install bison
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:26:15 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Alvin,

Please `cc' all follow-ups to `help-bison'---you might get
better answers.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Alvin Weigel wrote:

> Hi Laurence,
> I downloaded a m4 .gz file and configured it on my unix machine.  These are
> my directories within /pro/work/al/asn.  Flex seemed to configure ok but
> bison still gets the GNU M4 error.
>
> SNACC        bison-1.875  flex-2.5.4   m4-1.4.1
>
> checking for bison... no
> checking for byacc... no
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for gm4... no
> checking for gnum4... no
> checking for m4... /usr/bin/m4
> checking whether m4 supports frozen files... no
> configure: error: GNU M4 1.4 is required named
>
> The info seems to point to /usr/bin/m4 above.  Under the directory named
> /pro/work/al/asn/m4-1.4.1/src, I see m4.  Can you give me an idea on how to
> get this to work?  I appreciate your help.  Thanks. Alvin.

Apparently, the test in `configure' isn't checking the directory
where you've installed GNU M4.  If this directory isn't in your
`PATH', you will have to include it.  I suggest putting it before
the directory with the Tru64 M4.

If this doesn't help, it might help to take a look at the
`configure.ac' file.  If GNU M4 is in the `PATH' and you can call
it, it might work to just comment-out the test in `configure.ac',
run `autoconf' and `autoheader',  and then try running
`configure' again, provided `autoconf' and `autoheader' exist on
your machine.

If none of this works, please send me the error messages (and `cc'
help-bison).

I'm not an expert on this topic.  You may find something about
installing Bison under Tru64 (or Digital Unix) in the archives of
the help-bison and/or bug-bison lists:

ftp://mail.gnu.org/bug-bison/
ftp://mail.gnu.org/help-bison/

If no one on this list can help you, you might have better luck with
address@hidden

Laurence