Re: avoiding infinite loops

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: avoiding infinite loops
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:47:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, David Russinoff wrote:

> >You're missing lookahead information.  Try `bison --report=all'.
>
> My Bison doesn't seem to recognize that option.
> Can you tell me anything about the information that I'm missing?
> Thanks.

It's not much, but I think it is a little clearer at least.  Here's how
mine looks:

state 2

    0 $accept: p . $end
    3 a: p .  [$end]

    $end  shift, and go to state 4

    $end  [reduce using rule 3 (a)]

As Hans said, the shift (for the Bison-generated rule 0) is chosen, and so
the reduce (rule 3 with lookahead) can't even be encoded in the LALR(1)
action table.  The reduce is printed above just to show the conflict.

Joel