bison 2.1 generated code always returns error

From: Jim Michaels
Subject: bison 2.1 generated code always returns error
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 23:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

bison 2.1 generated code always returns an error: 1.
parse failed: invalid input.
this is always on the last token at end of file where it matches "EOF" (T_EOF).
it does the same thing whether I return 0 if I find the token instead of
returning T_EOF from the lexer (flex), or if I just return T_EOF and let the
flex lexer do its own end-of-file handling.

something is wrong.  bug in 2.1?
an update to 2.3 is unavailable in the gnuwin32 project.

also, how can I configure bison so it uses "lalr1.cc" without getting these
errors:
C:/gnuwin32/GETGNU~1/gnuwin32/share/bison/lalr1.cc:22: m4: Cannot open
c:/progra~1/Bison/share/bison/c++.m4: No such file or directory

bison happens to be installed in a different directory than c:\program
files\bison
it is installed in C:/gnuwin32/GETGNU~1/gnuwin32/bin

Jim Michaels
address@hidden
http://JesusnJim.com