Re: yy_scan_string

From: never2di
Subject: Re: yy_scan_string
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

Philip Herron wrote:

> never2di wrote:
>> I'm a newbie to Bison + Flex. and I'm having trouble in getting
>> yy_scan_string to work. I have tried the following
>>
>> YY_BUFFER_STATE my_string_buffer = yy_scan_string(my_string);
>> yyparse(); yy_delete_buffer(my_string_buffer );
>>
>> the parser errors out with a syntax error at the first token. I
>> have verified that the grammar and the content of 'my_string' works
>> using yyrestart(yyin) and also with yy_create_buffer() through a
>> file.
>>
>> Is there something special state that I have to set flex in before
>> I call yyparse()? if not what is that I'm doing wrong and what
>> needs to be done?
>>
>> bison (GNU Bison) 2.4
>>
>> Thanks :handshake:
>>

> Hey
>
> You might find this useful i do this in my lexer:
>
> int parse( FILE* fin )
> {
>   int err= 0;
>   if( fin == stdin )
>     {
> #ifdef HAVE_LIBREADLINE
>       char *line, *prompt= ">>> ";
> #else
>       char line[256];
> #endif
>       YY_BUFFER_STATE bp;
>
>       while( 1 )
>     {
> #ifdef HAVE_LIBREADLINE
>       line= readline(prompt);
> #else
>       fgets(line, sizeof(line), stdin);
> #endif
>       if( line == 0 )
>         break;
>       else if( strlen(line) > 0)
>         {
> #ifdef HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY
>           add_history(line);
> #endif
>           bp= yy_scan_string( line );
>           yy_switch_to_buffer(bp);
>           err= yyparse();
>           yy_delete_buffer(bp);
>         }
>     }
>     }
>   else
>     {
>       yyin= fin;
>       err= yyparse();
>     }
>   return err;
> }
>
> The bit your interested is:
>
> bp= yy_scan_string( line );
> yy_switch_to_buffer(bp);
> err= yyparse();
> yy_delete_buffer(bp);
>
> You need to switch to the buffer you created from the scan string.
>
> - --Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply.

The documentation for yy_scan_string says that the switching of the buffer
will be done by yy_scan_string itself and I verified that same in the code.

http://flex.sourceforge.net/manual/Multiple-Input-Buffers.html#index-yy_005fscan_005fstring-210

I though if it works for you then why not give it a try but unfortunately it
didn't work. I read some where that I will have to set the initial state for
the lexer, not sure what that means.

Thanks