Re: Compiling Reverse Polish Calculator Example

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Compiling Reverse Polish Calculator Example
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 18:34:40 +0100

Hi Hans,

Le 31 oct. 2012 à 15:47, Hans Aberg a écrit :

> It is pointless in UTF-8, and accepting it encourages a number of other
> problems.
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

You are right that Bison wants at least to be able to read
the ASCII part of the 8 bits, so that sort-of means UTF-8,
if we consider that Latin 1 and the like are dead.

If we were to ignore the BOM, then at least we should check
that they match UTF-8, and reject the file otherwise?

FWIW, the D compilers for instance obey these BOM, including for
other codings than UTF-8.