Re: [Flex-help] lex/yacc/gcc help (RESOLVED)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Flex-help] lex/yacc/gcc help (RESOLVED)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 19:03:25 +0100

Le 8 nov. 2013 à 19:57, Mark Hounschell <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I have determined it was SuSE-8.2 that the working executable was built on.
> Verified by installing a SuSE-8.2 system and it builds just fine.
>
> SuSE-8.2 has the following revisions of software
>
> #rpm -q gcc glibc yacc flex bison
> gcc-3.3-23
> glibc-2.3.2-6
> yacc-91.7.30-663
> flex-2.5.4a-97
> bison-1.75-39
>
> What I've found is lex/flex is NOT the problem at all.

Hi Mark,

Glad that you found a way to compile your piece of software.

> The problem is bison -y is NOT doing the same thing yacc does.

Well, yes it is :)  Now the question is what exactly do you
call Yacc.

> On the 8.2 system the makefile specifies "YACC = yacc". If I change it to
> "YACC = bison -y", I get the same failure I do on the current system.
>
> But, I found a package called byacc. Using this instead of "bison -y" or
> "yacc" has fixed my problem.
>
> Back on SuSE-8.2 yacc was it's own package. I guess when yacc and bison were
> combined someone had the insight to still provide the original yacc package
> as byacc.

byacc is not the "original" yacc.  It even turns out that
Bison and Byacc have a common ancestor, but it is not the
original Yacc.

Here, in some way your build process depends on specific
details of Byacc, which probably explains why it fails
with Bison.

But I'm glad that it works now!

Cheers,

        Akim