Re: Generated file has non-UTF-8 characters

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Generated file has non-UTF-8 characters
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:06:31 +0100

Le 16 nov. 2013 à 20:33, Arthur Schwarz <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Bison 2.7.1
>
> Hi Akim;

Hi Arthur,

Please, keep the CC so that answer remain public.

> Thanks for the reply. The error occurs in yyerror() below. The code for
> yyerror() is from bison's skeleton.

No, it is not.  It typically comes from your *.y file.

> I'm using cygwin and I tried to find the skeleton using find * -iname
> 'bison*' with no luck. If you tell me where the skeleton is I'd like to see
> if the issue is in my version of it.
>
> I retyped the offending line and the error disappeared. Now I'm trudging
> through the remaining errors to rediscover the mysteries of the Orient and
> get a working parser.
>
> Thanks
> Art
>
> ---- code ----
>
> yyerror(char *s) { /* Called by yyparse on error */
>   printf (�%s\n�, s);

Obviously you'r problem is here: your own definition of the user-defined
function yyerror uses extended quotes, instead of plain, ASCII, good ol' ".
You must fix your *.y file (and btw, errors should rather be sent to
stderr in typical cases, so

void yyerror (const char *s)
{
  fprintf (stderr, "%s\n", s);