autoconf on maint branch

From: Donovan Lampa
Subject: autoconf on maint branch
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 17:08:38 +0000

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a configure file on the maint branch so I can compile and
install bison. The branch doesn't come with a configure file, nor does it
contain an INSTALL file from what I could see.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.13.2 and have a few things installed with homebrew so my
$PATH looks a little funny:

/usr/local/opt/m4/bin:/usr/local/opt/gettext/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/Users/dlampa/.rvm/bin

`autoconf` fails with this:
address@hidden bison (maint) $ autoconf
sh: build-aux/git-version-gen: No such file or directory
configure.ac:47: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: AC_PACKAGE_VERSION
configure.ac:47: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

which kind of looks like my PATH isn't being honored for some reason. I
also have a hunch i might need to `make` something else here.

I get a bit farther with `autoreconf` but that fails too

address@hidden bison (maint) $ autoreconf
aclocal: error: aclocal: file 'm4/m4.m4' does not exist
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

despite the m4/m4.m4 file existing in the place I think it's looking for it:

address@hidden bison (maint) $ ls m4/m4.m4
m4/m4.m4

Am I doing something stupid? Any guidance on how to get a configure file?

Thanks all