Re: odd error messages

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: odd error messages
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 08:11:22 +0200

Hi Anand,

> Le 7 oct. 2018 à 05:27, Anand Akhare <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>   after running parser on code, error messages are showing in wrong
> sequence.
> Below are errors with line 379 and 378 in wrong sequence when it should be
> 378 followed by 379.

Yes, this is a known issue.  Not too much of a problem IMHO,
so I don’t plan to fix this soon.  It is non trivial: the
errors are reported in the order in which they are discovered,
in different phases.

> preprocess.y:379.13-27: error: symbol var_recur_comma is used, but is not
> defined as a token and has no rules
> %type <str> var_recur_comma
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> preprocess.y:378.13-28: error: symbol var_recur_dollar is used, but is not
> defined as a token and has no rules
> %type <str> var_recur_dollar
>
> Further, the error is showing for token for which rule is defined in
> further code.
> var_recur_comma:
>                          COMMA
>                                 ;

This is weird.  Can you try to find a minimal example that
shows the problem?

> There is nothing missing that can generate error.
> There can be some data point I may not have for this error.
> There are some more tokens with same problem and some with warnings.
> Warnings of some tokens still are same but not reported as error.
>
> Bison is 3.0.3 compiled from source code tarball.

Please, try with Bison 3.1.