Re: warning: a ';' might be needed at the end of action code

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: warning: a ';' might be needed at the end of action code
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 18:19:09 +0100

Hi John,

> Le 28 févr. 2019 à 12:56, John P. Hartmann <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> This warning is introduced between 3.0.2 and 3.0.4 as far as I can tell.

A little more context would be most useful.

$ cat t.y
%%
exp: { $$ = 42 }
$ LC_ALL=C /opt/local/bin/bison -Wall t.y
t.y:2.6-16: warning: empty rule without %empty [-Wempty-rule]
 exp: { $$ = 42 }
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
$ LC_ALL=C /opt/local/bin/bison --version
bison (GNU Bison) 3.3.2
Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

What exactly do you mean?

> Is there a way to stop bison adding gratuitous stuff to the actions other
> than $ and @ processing?

Again, precision won't hurt.  Most of the messages are controlled by -W, and
-Wnone usually leaves only the errors.  What do you mean exactly?

> Do remember that we are a band of merry men who write IBM System/360
> assembler in the actions.

Sorry, I didn't "remember".  Could you give us some more details about this?
I'm curious to see what your files look like (at least a snippet).

> We still bemoan the loss of the tables only option, but I guess there is
> nothing doing about that.

Wow, thanks for enriching my vocabulary :)

The option for tables only must be gone for decades now, no?

You can write your own skeletons to get the tables only.

Cheers!