RE: Request

From: Patrice GUERLAIS
Subject: RE: Request
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:18:17 +0200

Hi,

If I well understand what you mean, you want some sort of an "heritage" : your
"master" section defines defaults, whereas your
"local" section defines overloads. Am I right ?

If I'm right, here are the conclusions I drawn for my own purposes (partially
as the result from a previous thread with Mark Lindsey
and Andrew Mayhew, thanks to them) :
- store in a directory (or a dir tree) the default files
- store in another directory (or dir tree) the "client" specific files
- write a cf conf file with something like :
<excerpt>
copy:
        ${origin}/${client}
                dest=${dest}
                server=...
                recurse=inf
                action=fix
                force=true

        ${origin}/DEFAULT
                dest=${dest}
                server=...
                recurse=inf
                action=fix
                type=mtime
</excerpt>

How it works :
- the first copy clause copies _always_ the specific files
- the second copy clause copies files only if they are newer. As the first
clause already copied overloading files, the default ones
are older and can't be copied.

The bad thing with that organization is that it is limited to 2 levels : 1 for
specific and 1 for default files. You can't define an
"object-looking file structure", that is :
- a default set
- a set for classes of clients (client with Sparc CPU, client with Intel CPU,
...)
- within each class, define sub-classes (Sparc CPU with 1 CPU, Sparc CPU with 2
CPUs, ...)
- within each sub-classes, define ...
I suggested the addition of a new option to the copy section, a "path" option
defined for each copy clause :
<example>
copy:
        ${origin}
                dest=${dest}
                server=...
                path=<dir1>:<dir2>:<dir3>:...
                action=fix
                type=mtime
</example>
The result would then be the union of all the dir/file names found in the path,
but the copy would be done in the order of the path.
Thus you can "heritate" by specifying the path from the more to the less
specific : path=client:sub-class just one step
over:sub-class 2 steps over:...:default. But had no echo about that idea :-(

HIH
Patrice