detecting failed clients and perl.

From: Mike Lang
Subject: detecting failed clients and perl.
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:39:43 -0600

How would you notify yourself when a client doesn't run cfengine for a predefined period. I guess I want a email with a list of hosts that didn't run. If all things are well I would get not mail. If a host is messed up then I get an email, if power to a bld is down
I still only get one email with a list of clients that didn't run.

I could see a mail filter that would keep a list of clients and check them off as they run, or have cfengine touch a file on an nfs mount to show the last run. I'm suure someone has a
better idea.

Something completely different; cfwrap and cfmail use perl, do you keep a copy of perl local to each machine? If I keep perl on an nfs mount this could be a point of failure since the cron
jobs would fail.

Thanks for the input,
                --Mike
Michael Lang    mlang@lanl.gov