Re: How to get cfengine to act like tar

From: Chris Marlow
Subject: Re: How to get cfengine to act like tar
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:51:51 -0400

Mark -

I created a shorted / more consise config file so that I could run the
debug for you, and now the copying works as it should.   links as links,
files as files.  Must be that somewhere in the splitting of the configs, I
introduced a problem with how it looks at the files.  I'll sort out all
that at a later time.

However ,there is one more thing that is stumping me.  Another type of copy
that comes in useful for how we create packages is to copy from on server
to another, turning links into real files.  (Akin to the tar -h flag)

However, while it turns links to files into real files, it runs into
problems when it comes to links to directories.  An example would be:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     sys            9 Oct 01 13:43 linkdir1 -> ./realdir
drwxr-sr-x   3 root     sys          512 Oct 01 13:42 realdir

The config file I am using is this:
control:

        actionsequence  = ( copy )  # Keep this simple and constant
        domain = ( btv.ibm.com )  # Needed for remote copy
        cfengineserver      = ( newsup.btv.ibm.com )

        cf_workdir          = ( /var/cfengine )
        cf_install_dir      = ( /var/local/contrib/bin )
        destination_base    = ( /var/local/cfenginetestbed )

        #
        # Classes that we belong to, so we know what packages to download
        #

        AddClasses = ( testpackage )

        fileserver            = ( newsup.btv.ibm.com )
        cfengine_base_data    = ( /var/local/cfengine-data )

copy:
any.testpackage::
        $(cfengine_base_data)/testpackage
        dest=$(destination_base)
        r=inf
        owner=root
        group=system
        timestamps=keep
        symlink=*
        linktype=copy
        type=binary
        forcedirs=true
        server=$(fileserver)
        typecheck=false
        backup=false

with errors generated that look like this:

--snip--
Transaction Send[t 67][Packed text]
SendSocketStream, sent 75
RecvSocketStream(8)
    (Concatenated 8 from stream)
Transaction Receive [t 65][]
RecvSocketStream(65)
    (Concatenated 65 from stream)
Mode = 1517,511
OK: type=2
 mode=2755
 lmode=777
 uid=0
 gid=3
 size=512
 atime=1033498040
 mtime=1033494169 ino=43021 nlnk=1
RecvSocketStream(8)
    (Concatenated 8 from stream)
Transaction Receive [t 12][]
RecvSocketStream(12)
    (Concatenated 12 from stream)
Linkbuffer: OK:./realdir
FileObjectFilter(/var/local/cfengine-data/testpackage/linkdir1)
cfengine:axentmgr: Traversing directory links during copy is too dangerous,
pruned
IgnoreFile(linkdir2)
cf_rstat(/var/local/cfengine-data/testpackage/linkdir2)
GetCachedStatData(/var/local/cfengine-data/testpackage/linkdir2)
Did not find in cache
Transaction Send[t 67][Packed text]
SendSocketStream, sent 75
RecvSocketStream(8)
    (Concatenated 8 from stream)
Transaction Receive [t 65][]
RecvSocketStream(65)
    (Concatenated 65 from stream)
Mode = 1517,511
OK: type=2
 mode=2755
 lmode=777
 uid=0
 gid=3
 size=512
 atime=1033498041
 mtime=1033494248 ino=43022 nlnk=1
RecvSocketStream(8)
    (Concatenated 8 from stream)
Transaction Receive [t 24][]
RecvSocketStream(24)
    (Concatenated 24 from stream)
Linkbuffer: OK:./realdir/realsubdir/
FileObjectFilter(/var/local/cfengine-data/testpackage/linkdir2)
cfengine:axentmgr: Traversing directory links during copy is too dangerous,
pruned
-- unsnip --

According to the reference manual for "linktype", for directories, this
option is ignored.  However, is there an option / config I can use that
WILL be able to make these links?

-Chris

--------
Christopher S. Marlow